Thursday, December 5, 2013

Peace


Watch this video - it tells the story of the writer of the song "It is Well with my soul".  As I listened to this, I was brought to tears.  This man lost everything!  Everything...yet wrote a song that spoke of God's peace in his soul.  

During this Holiday season, when someone says "Peace be with you", what does that mean to you? Have you ever really stopped and thought about God's peace?   In the Bible, he references his peace like a river.  Well, rivers can be calm and soothing, but they can also be wild and rapid!!  Have you ever thought of  peace in a wild and crazy life?  Does it even seem possible?  With God, it is.  In my study this morning, I read several verses in Isaiah about Gods peace.  The one that really stood out to me was Isaiah 48:17-18

     "This is what the Lord says - your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:  "I am the Lord your God,     who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.  If only you had paid attention to my commands, YOUR PEACE would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea"" 

 If I had only paid attention.  Well, that's eye opening right there.  There are so many places in God's word that He instructs us on the way we should live.  When we don't live God's way, we have chaos and trouble in our lives and we wonder why?  If we live as God instructs, and go the way He tells us to go, we will have peace.  Peace that nothing will take away - "whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul".

If you live each day wishing for peace, but are troubled on every side, consider this - Beth Moore wrote as a side note in the Bible study I'm doing "You must believe, bend the knee, and learn how to receive".  God doesn't want to see His children in turmoil, but until we are willing to bend our knees before Him and release our troubles to Him, He can't bestow His peace on our hearts.  What is holding you back from receiving your peace in Christ?  What do you need to surrender to Him that you are holding onto?  Get on your knees and give it to Him.  Then peace like a river will wash over you. 

 Further scriptures to reference:  Is 9: 6-7, 26:3, 32:17, 53:5, 54:10, 57:2, 60:17 (found in my Breaking Free Beth Moore Bible study)...take some time and read Gods word today

No comments:

Post a Comment