Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Satisfaction



Satisfied...what does that mean to you? Think about that word and consider what would make you satisfied:  Food? Water? Clothes? Riches? Love?  Are you ever truly satisfied?  Answer honestly.  As I ponder this thought, I wonder if I am satisfied.  Am I satisfied with the life God has given me? Am I satisfied with the way things turned out or did I have a different plan?

We all dream as children of things we want to do, places we want to go, having a family and someone to love us - you know, the white picket fence, 2.5 kids (how does that happen??), dog, good job.  We envision this life and think that is what will satisfy us.  But, those are all just things.  Things that can be removed, taken away, destroyed, lost.  What do you do then? When all that is left is a hole that needs to be filled?

In Isaiah 55:2 its says "Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good".   This verse is perfect for this time of year - when wallets are stretched and hearts are aching and our eyes are focused on the wrong things.  We try to buy all the things that we think will make us happy, satisfied.  But, we know deep down that what we long for are springs of living water, food for our souls.  God wants to fill us up with His love, His mercy, His grace and yet we rush around trying to buy things to fill the void in our lives.  When you are thirsty, you have a physical reaction.  What ends that thirst is a tall glass of water.  When we are spiritually thirsty, we have a physical reaction - we become grumpy, cold hearted, angry, bitter, frustrated...oh the list could go on couldn't it?  You know what I mean - you've seen it in the grocery store when someone grumbles because you got in their way.  Or when your co-worker is in a bad mood and you say "you must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed".  Those are the physical reactions to an unsatisfied soul.  

How then, do we get satisfied? What do we do?  We spend time with the one who can fill us up - Jesus.  Jeremiah 31:25 says " I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint".  God is there, waiting for you to let Him in.  Revelation 3:20 "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock.  If ANYONE hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me".  Did you read that?  ANYONE!  This offer is to anyone who is hungry and thirsty.  Anyone who is lonely.  Anyone who is saddened.  Whatever state you are in, Jesus says if you ask him he will fill you.  He is the true living water that will quench your soul thirst.  John 4: 13-14 says:


In the next few weeks before we celebrate his birth, think on this - am I satisfied?  Will spending all this money and all of these gifts really satisfy me, or will spending time with Jesus fill that void in my heart?  I'm not saying don't buy gifts, what I'm saying is - will they satisfy what is aching in your soul?  Seek Him, ask Him to enter and fill you and He will.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment