Monday, December 30, 2013

REFLECTION



Another year is drawing to a close.  Good and bad.  Happy and sad.  Joy and sorrow.  Laughter and pain.  I believe it does us all well to reflect back on all that has happened.  Learn from our mistakes so we can grow and not make them again.  See what good happened and where God worked for us.  Was it a year you wish had never happened?  Was it a year you were thankful for? What can you do differently than last year to grow closer to God and walk in the path He has for you?

Lots of questions - few answers.  Its hard sometimes, isn't it, to look back at what transpired in the last year?  Some of us will be happy with how our lives have turned out so far.  Others of us will be glad this year is closing and a new one is beginning.  Its like reading a really long book and you just want this chapter to end! You are ready to turn the page and see if there is something good happening for the main character in the story - YOU!  

I have been keeping a journal for the past 9 or 10 years.  Its my way of getting my feelings out, a way of remembering what happened in life and how I felt.  I've pulled some of those journals out and read bits and pieces.   I can see in the beginning a child like mentality - it was all about me.  What was wrong in my life, what I wanted.  God, what about me?  I'm almost embarrassed to read some of them.  Yet, I can see my growth in Christ thru my writings.  I can see situations where I struggled and God came through.  When you are in the midst of situations in your life, you can miss the little things God does for you.  But, if you sit and REFLECT on the year or years past, you can see where God has moved and what He has done for you.  I am glad I started writing all those years ago.  Its a great reminder of who God is and who I am not.   I am broken, scarred, battered and bruised.  But God is a healer.  A potter who is working the lump of clay that is me.  I am constantly being prodded and shaped by his loving hands and I can see that as I reflect back on the year.   Hes working out those cracks, replacing the broken pieces and smoothing away the rough spots.  If I didn't look back and reflect on all He's done for me, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to look forward with anticipation of what is to come.  

Isaiah 40:31  "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint"


Hope in - means to trust in or look expectantly to.  As I reflect back and see where I've been, I can HOPE IN the Lord - I can look expectantly to where He is taking me.  What a great promise!  What joy that brings to a heart that at times can be heavy laden. 

I encourage you to look back - Reflect.  But, in your reflection, don't become downtrodden.  Instead, reflect on what was good, what was bad, what made you happy and what saddened you.  Learn from those things and then with a hopeful heart, look ahead to what God has in store for the new year.  Set goals for your relationship with Him.  Put Him first in all you do and see where He takes you.  Trust me, you will soar on wings like eagles!  This race before us is long and can be hard at times - but knowing with God I can soar - that gives me HOPE!



No comments:

Post a Comment