Thursday, July 31, 2014

Be Still


Its hard to do isn't it? 

Sit still.

Listen.

Wait.

God tells us to Be still and know that He is God.   It's hard in this fast pace, achievement driven world, to be still and hear what God is wanting to say to us.

God goes on to say "I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth"

God has the whole world in His capable hands.  Why do we feel we have to keep doing more and more?

You know them - the workaholics.  People who work every chance they get to make more, be more, to say they achieved more.  But, what are they missing out on?  A relationship with the almighty God?  Their families?  Life?  They are building up treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy.  And at the end of it all, can they take it with them?  At the end, what matters the most? That they worked every chance they got and missed out on what God was saying to them?  Or that they had more numbers in their bank account than their friends?

God has been opening my eyes to the world of IDOLATRY.  Its more prevalent than we think.  
We idolize:
   Money
   Sex
   Achievement
   Food
   Success
   Ourselves

We may think we put God first, but when we take a good hard look at what is most important to us, what drives us every day, is it furthering God's kingdom, or bettering our own?

In Luke 10:40-42, Jesus went to visit Mary and Martha.  Mary CHOSE to sit at the feet of Jesus and hear what he had to say.  Martha CHOSE to be busy, making the food, setting the perfect table, working.  Martha missed out on a divine opportunity because she was too busy.  Mary chose better.  What Martha did wasn't bad in and of itself, but it was a idol that was controlling her.  The idol of achievement.  Martha wanted to be able to say "Look what I did".  She had good intentions of spending time with Jesus, but at the end of the day, she didn't. 

Sounds like us.  We value that extra half hour of sleep instead of getting up early to BE STILL...and spend time with God.  We watch that TV show, one after the other, and go to bed and say "I will spend time with God tomorrow, I ran out of time today".   It breaks my heart to hear the excuses of why spending time with God isn't at the top of the list. 

The most important thing we can do is to Be still and know that He is God.  I sat on the porch again this morning.  It was so quiet and peaceful.  I put my pen down, and sat.  I listened.  God showed me, almost like a slide show, how truly loved and blessed I am. 
  - I have my gym buddies who are happy to see me every day at noon - quick to give a hug and a laugh. There for me if I needed anything.  Blessed.
  - I have the youth at church who run to hug me when they see me.  It's where you will find me on Sundays.  Wrapped up in hugs with the teens and the pre-teens.  Blessed.
  - I get random text messages from friends during the day - wishing me a great day or saying they miss me.  Blessed.
  - It's the morning "virtual coffee" with my best friend.  The one woman on this earth who GETS me.  Blessed.
  - It's the love of my family.  Calling my mom and hearing the excitement and love in her voice because she is happy to hear from me.  Her daughter.  Her best friend.  Blessed.
  - It's my children.  Beyond Blessed.  Two fine young men who are growing up too quickly and turning into men of God.  Each in his own way serving God and making an impact on the kingdom.

Would I have seen how blessed I am if I hadn't been still?  I don't' think so.  God spoke to me this morning because I was willing to be still and listen. 

What is consuming you?  What can you do to find time to BE STILL and LISTEN?  I challenge you today.  Its the most important thing you can do, and HE is the most important relationship you will ever have.  I can't think of a better way to start my day than with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment