Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Comparison Trap



Women are the worst at it.

We see a beautiful woman who has what we want, and we start to compare.

I wish I looked like her, then I would be happy. 
I wish I could afford to buy new clothes and dress like her, then I would be happy. 
I wish I had a car like hers, then I would be happy.
I wish I had a job like hers, then I would be happy.
I wish I had a husband/boyfriend like she does, then I would be happy.

Its tiring really.  Wishing I was someone else.  Wishing I looked differently or had a different life.  I am who God made me to be.  Why would I want to change what He says is precious?

   Is 43:2-4  "Fear not, I have redeemed you.  I have summoned you by name.  YOU ARE MINE.  When you pass through the waters I will be with you, and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.  For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Isarel, YOUR Savior...You are precious and honored in my sight, and I love you".

When God looks at me, He sees someone He knows.  Ps. 139:1 "O Lord you have searched me, and you know me."  God KNOWS me.  He made me unique.  I am treasured and of great worth.  

If God says I am precious and honored in his sight, then why do I want to be someone else? Why do I want to look like someone else?  I need to be the best ME God created me to be.  God gave me the personality I have so I could impact certain people through my life.  If this is so, why would I want to trade that in?


We are all created for a reason, with a purpose.  Seek God and ask Him what He wants you to do.  Quit wishing you were someone else, or looked like someone else, and embrace WHO God made you to be. (Yes, I'm talking to myself here!!)

I'll be transparent and share my morning prayer with you:

"I don't have anything special to offer"

"Lord, I know that I do have something special to offer.  There is so much more to me than my outside.  My outside tends to control how I feel about myself on the inside, and that is not what you want for me.  You created me to be loving, giving, confident, organized, creative, fair, empathetic and intuitive.  None of those traits are dependent on my outside looking a certain way.  My heart and mind are who I am and I will not be defined by my outward appearance.  I see other women and compare who I am on the inside to how they look on the outside.  I will NEVER win in that scenario.  Help me to accept who you made me to be and embrace all you have for my future.  Help me to remember that I am precious in your sight...and you love me.  Remind me that my personality is what makes me uniquely me.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen"


Dove did a body comparison campaign a few years ago.  I've never forgotten the image.  We are all shaped differently, making us unique in our own way.  Nothing about how we look on the outside determines who we are on the inside.  People may judge who we are by our outsides without knowing who we are on the inside.  I pray that anyone, like me, who is struggling with body image will pray my prayer today.  Know that you are worth something and the comparison trap will get us nowhere.  Embrace who God made you to be and be the BEST you that you can be.  If people turn away from you because of your outsides, without getting to know your inside, then they weren't meant to be a part of your journey.   

Our outsides don't define us, so lets quit comparing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment