Thursday, October 9, 2014

Wise Choices


Choices....we all have them.  We make them every day.

Good ones.

Bad ones.

The choices I make today will set the course for my tomorrows.  

Show me a decision or choice and I'll show you a direction.

Decisions I made put me in debt - bad
Decisions I made set me free financially - good.

Decisions I made ended my marriage - bad.
Decisions to turn away from that temptation saved my marriage - good.

Decisions I made at work to do something unethical cost me my job - bad
Decisions I made at work saved the company money and I got a promotion - good.

We all have decisions to make - good and bad ones.

Just as a rudder on a ship determines the direction the ship will go, so do our choices.  The captain of a ship will study the weather charts, wind speed and direction.  He will plan his course and use the tools available to him to make sure he reaches his destination.  The rudder keeps him on course.

So should we study Gods word, pray and seek wise counsel in order to keep us on course with God's will for our lives.  

Romans 8:5-8 says:

 5Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

Here Paul is telling us to  live in accordance with the Spirit.  Our minds are fleshly.  We want to do what makes us happy, what feels good.  Its the nature of Sin and we are all sinful people.  But, here we see in Vs. 7 that the mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God. 

Insubordination.  We are saying to God "I know what you want from me, what I should do, but I'm not going to do it.  I'm going to follow MY way".  We are being insubordinate to God.

So, how do we decide which choice to make?

We dig into God's word.  Gods word was given to us so that we can know the mind of Christ.  So that we can fill our hearts and minds with the Truth.  Sometimes making the right choice is hard.  We want instant gratification.  We want what our flesh wants.  

But, in Rom 8:13-14 Paul says "If you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. Because those who are led by the Spirit of God are SONS OF GOD."

Whats more important to you?  Fulfilling your fleshly desires RIGHT NOW? or living an eternal abundant life in Christ?   What we want now is fleeting, but Christ is ETERNAL.

I pray you make wise choices today.  I pray I do.  I want to live each day knowing my rudder is secure and pointing me in the direction of my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment