Monday, August 24, 2015

Fear or Regret?


Life is full of ...

Fear of the future
Fear of the unknown
Fear of failure

Life is full of ...
Mistakes we've made
Chances we missed
Opportunities passed up

Do you live in Fear or do you live in Regret?

A lot has happened this summer.  I've reconnected with old friends, made new friends, put my heart on the line and then retreated in hurt and disappointment.  I've been ridiculed and hated, I've been supported and loved.

Do I live in fear?  or do I live with regret? 

Fear tells me I will never go anywhere.  Fear tells me I will never be loved.  Fear tells me I'm not good enough to do what God is calling me to do.

Regret reminds me of my failures.  Regret reminds me that I'm not moving forward but standing still.  Regret is at the door when I am too fearful to take the next step and then I see what I've missed.

What can I do to turn this cycle of fear and regret around?  I turn to the one who makes all things new.  I turn to the one who is telling me to step out of the boat. 
When the winds were strong and the waves tossed him too and fro, Peter kept his eyes on Jesus.  He knew who held the power to calm the storms...the one he was riding in and the one brewing inside of him.  Jesus said “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
When I'm fearful and regretful, I need to look up, fix my eyes on Jesus, and step out of the boat.

God doesn't want us to live in fear or with regret.  He sent his son who paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we could live free. Fear and regret keeps us in bondage. IF we fix our eyes on Jesus, we will find we are able to conquer much more than we ever thought possible. We will be able to take those chances that cause regret.   We will have the strength to make the decisions that we keep waiting to make. 

I'm in a season of change.  I can fear the change, or I can regret not fixing my eyes on the one who can calm the storm inside of me.  If I'm walking with Jesus, if I step out of the boat, I know he will sustain me.


No comments:

Post a Comment