Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Regret






Have you ever felt like the person in this picture?

You did something that you regret and there is nothing you can do to take it back.  A do-over would be perfect but instead you put your head in your hands and hide your shame and embarrassment.  

If you are a follower of Christ, this is what sin should do to you.  It should crumple you.  It should make your heart hurt to know that you disappointed your father in heaven.  You disappointed yourself. 

I've been here.  Many times in my life.  I've done things I'm not proud of and the thought of anyone ever finding out terrifies me.  Just like hiding behind hands, we hide behind masks.  If we let people see that we are broken and sinful, what would they think of us?

David was a shepherd, a king, an adulterer, a murderer.  Don't you think he probably, at one point or another, experienced regret?  In Psalm 25:11 he writes "For the sake of your name Lord, forgive my iniquity, though it is great".

I think we too often strive so hard for perfection that when we fail, our regret can overtake us.  One thing I've been trying to remember is this.  God's love is unconditional.  He loves me no matter how good or how bad I am.   God will show us our sin to change us, not to shame us.

I don't want to live with regret.  I want to live with hope.  I think the few moments of regret should teach us something.  It should be a gentle reminder that we are changing.  That the old is gone and the new is being born in us daily.   Hebrews 8:12 says "I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more".  When you have a regret, take it to the Lord.  Confess it and give it to God.  He will begin the process of healing in your heart and mind if you open yourself up to him.

I want to change my picture.  Instead of head in hands, I want this picture:

I want the light of God shining down on me.  I want to know that He has made me stronger.  I no longer have to hang my head in shame over my sins, but can stand on the shores of his limitless grace and mercy, basking in His glory and love.  

What are you regretting today?  Do you still think about it and let it consume your mind?  If so, I highly recommend you get on your knees and place it before God.  Repent and ask His forgiveness.  Ask him to make you new.  David sang in Psalm 51:10 NIV "Create in me a pure heart O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."

I like the message version of this verse:


Soak me in your laundry and I’ll come out clean,
    scrub me and I’ll have a snow-white life.
Tune me in to foot-tapping songs,
    set these once-broken bones to dancing.
Don’t look too close for blemishes,
    give me a clean bill of health.
God, make a fresh start in me,
    shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.
Don’t throw me out with the trash,
    or fail to breathe holiness in me.
Bring me back from gray exile,
    put a fresh wind in my sails!
Give me a job teaching rebels your ways
    so the lost can find their way home.
Commute my death sentence, God, my salvation God,
    and I’ll sing anthems to your life-giving ways.
Unbutton my lips, dear God;
    I’ll let loose with your praise.


That says it all....

Amen?  Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment