Saturday, April 18, 2015

Taking Steps

Walking.

Taking steps.

Its an action we do every day yet we don't really think about it.  Its also something many of us don't do enough of. 

My son sent me a text this week and said "Mom, download the Fitbit app and add me as a friend."  Ok, but I don't have a fitbit.  "That's ok, if you carry your phone it will still measure your steps".

So, I did, and he challenged me with a daily goal of 10,000 steps a day.  Not a big deal.  WRONG!  This opened my eyes to how sedentary my life really is.  I sit at a desk all day at work, sit in a car to a from work, then I come home, do a few chores and then I SIT!  WOW....what an eye opener!

So, its become a challenge to daily reach my step goal.  Which means I must get up and exercise in the morning and in the evening.  Move, move, move!!

 Yesterday morning, as I was out in the early morning fog, I was walking, stepping, moving...and praying.  God asks us to move.  He wants us to trust Him and know that He is walking beside us in our faith "walk".  I realized as I walked and prayed that I have feared God most of my life.  I have walked in shame of my past.  And because of my past, I feared that God was punishing me for things I have done.  But, I realized the only person punishing me was myself.  When I repented of my sins, God forgave me and remembered them no more.  I have walked around in my shame and walked around feeling like things haven't worked out "my way" because God was punishing me.  


With each step I took, I left something behind me....I left my fear of God and walked into his loving arms.  I left my shame behind and walked into his cloak of grace.  I realized that there are things God has called me to do that I haven't done because of my fear of failure, my fear of inadequacy.  So, I walked into the promise of His ability to do far more in and thru me than I am capable of doing.

Yesterday I left footprints behind me and it felt so good!  God is so good, and patient, and loving.  It was like scales were scraped off my eyes.  I saw that he has patiently been loving me as I have walked in fear of him.  Fear that if I did something wrong he would punish me or withhold my blessings from me.  I realized that no matter what I do, He is gently shepherding me back into his arms.  I walked, I prayed, I cried, and I worshipped.  

It was all started because my son wanted me to track my steps each day.  Little did he know that getting me walking and watching my steps would lead me to walking right into the loving arms of a father that for years I have feared.

What steps do you need to take today to leave your past behind?  What steps do you need to take to get closer your fathers loving embrace?  What things do you need to leave behind as you walk closer to him?  Get moving and start stepping today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment