Monday, January 5, 2015

Reality v. Fairy Tales


I have a desire.  A dream.  I want to write and perhaps speak in women's ministry someday. 

That is something I want.  But is that God's will for my life?

I work in youth ministry at church.  I hang out with teenagers and mentor them.  Its pretty awesome and its fulfilling.  Its hard sometimes to know what to say to the issues they have.  Sometimes I want to step in and fix everything for them.  

I want to be the fairy godmother that waves a wand and makes everything ok.  But, we don't live in a world of fantasy.  We live in the real world.  A world of broken dreams, disappointment, heartache and failure.

I need to release what I deemed my "fairytale" to the reality of my life.  Nothing turned out like I dreamed.  Nothing I dreamed of came true, yet I know I am where I am because it's where God wants me.

If all of my FANTASIES had come true, I wouldn't have lived leaning on God. My faith may have been weaker and my trust may have been more in myself than in God.

We have all seen or read Walt's fairy tales.  Cinderella meets Prince Charming and lives happily ever after.  Or did she?  What happened in the rest of the story? Did he stay a prince?  Or did he work long hours and come home late while she cooked and cleaned up after the children all day?  Sleeping Beauty got tons of sleep - until the Prince woke her up.  Then what?  Did she ever go to sleep like that again?  Or did she have to call the doctor for something to help her fall asleep because of all the things on her mind she couldn't quit thinking about.  And what about Snow White?  Did she really sing songs all day long as she cleaned up after 7 dwarfs? (Her 7 kids?)  Or did the birds go away and her happiness turn to grumpiness because no one helped her?

See, we live our lives based on a fantasy of how we think things will turn out - but we then wake up to the see that none of that fantasy is reality.  Reality is - life is hard.  Life is messy.  And the only Prince who can see us through is the Prince of Peace.

The Prince of Peace stepped into my life and rescued me from my illusion of what I thought my life should be like, and led me by the hand into the life he created for me.  This year, I am excited to see where He takes me.  I'm curious to see what He has up his sleeve for me, and I'm EMPOWERED by His love, grace and mercy.

I live in the REAL word.  And I want to have a PRINCESS heart.  God is my Prince, I am his princess.  I'm open to the adventure that awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment