Thursday, September 18, 2014

Birthdays


20 years!  Wow, it seems like yesterday that I was in the hospital, waiting for this child to arrive.  I was excited, nervous, anxious.  He was not cooperating on coming out - so they went in to get him. 

When I finally saw him, my heart changed shape. It grew bigger.  I knew that I would do anything to protect this child.  

KADEN GARRICK SLOAN

Happy Birthday!

My heart.

My Joy.

My World.

I didn't know it was possible to love another human being as much as I loved him.  

Jeremiah 31:3 comes to mind when I think of my children  "I have loved you with an everlasting love.  With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself".

It hit me as I was thinking back on the day of his birth that God loves me as much if not more than I could possibly love my boys.  It was overwhelming and it brought me to tears.  God loves me so much he sent his son to DIE for me.  Would I do the same with my son?  I'm glad God didn't ask me to do that - I'm pretty certain humanity would be condemned!  

I protected him.  I taught him.  I nurtured him.  I disciplined him.  He grew and matured and now lives away from home - a man finding his own way.   My role as his mom has changed from teacher to advisor.  I listen and give wisdom when its asked.  I cheer him on and encourage.  I tell him how proud I am of him and I sit back in amazement that God gave this wonderful young man to me.  

I have two sons and although today is the birthday of the oldest, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fireball who is my second son.  Kelland Gregory - my comedian, my ball of laughter, my jokester, my very vocal ambassador for Christ.  I've never met a 16 year old who isn't afraid to talk about Jesus to anyone.  I dont' know what I did to deserve my boys, but I thank God for them daily.  The love they have for each other is so awesome.  It's cool to see them grow and become friends (because we all know siblings fight when they are younger - just being real!).  

Today I honor Kaden.  Today I tell you, my friends, that in Kaden you will find a heart that is kind, giving, growing and becoming more and more a Godly man after God's heart.  I am proud and humbled at the same time.   To know God chose me, a small town girl from small town Indiana, to be the mom of a young man who will do great things for God's kingdom, is humbling.  I'm amazed at God's goodness and thankful each day that He let me have the greatest job on earth - 

Being MOM to these 2 boys.

I love you Kaden and Kelland. 


No comments:

Post a Comment