Thursday, May 8, 2014

Weird



Do I want to live a WEIRD life, or a normal one?  

Weird in that I do things differently than the rest of the world.

Weird in that I relax, take time away from electronics, from the things that suck away my time - and spend it on what really matters.

Who am I trying to impress anyway?  People who are worn out, in debt up to their eyeballs, and who work long hours or extra jobs in order to keep up the charade?  People who live in their cars driving from one activity to another and consider that "time with the kids"? People who don't really KNOW their kids because they are too busy to listen to them?

The world we live in is stressed out, maxed out and worn out!   The mentality of this world is MORE MORE MORE.  What we need more of is Jesus.  Time with our families - quality time.  Less STUFF and more Meaning.

Have you ever heard your child say "Come play with me" and you said "Not now, I'm busy - but in a little while"....did that "little while" happen?  Our children are only young once...they are begging for our attention - and not the kind that happens while you are driving them from one practice to another.  They want to know they are important to us - that we listen to them.  Be weird - not normal.  Close the laptop, turn off the TV and play a board game, go outside and play tag or catch.  Normal isn't so great these days.  Weird is awesome.

Want to get more of Jesus?  Do you ever imagine he is like your child saying "Come spend time with me" and you respond "Soon Jesus, after I finish these emails and make a few calls"...and the next thing you know, you've forgotten about Him.   Put down your phones, turn off the TV and spend time with Him.  Lay under the trees and watch the clouds pass by.  Close your eyes and listen to the beautiful symphony playing for you.  Take a hike in the woods and see the wonders he has created.  Sit and close your eyes for 5 minutes and be still.  Let His peace and grace flow through you and quiet the "normalcy" in your spirit.  Let Him awaken the "weirdness" in you.  

I'm weird and I know it.  And I'm ok with it.   I live in a home that is "just enough".  I drive a nice car and am able to put food on the table.  I don't have the best of THINGS, but I have the best thing I could ask for - PEACE.  In a world where people rush to make more, have more, be more, do more - I find peace and comfort in sitting on my porch reading a novel, listening to the breeze, or spending time with my son playing catch or catching a  ball game.  I don't need things to make me happy, I only need Jesus and the comfort of knowing I'm WEIRD!

No comments:

Post a Comment