Thursday, May 1, 2014

Thank you Mom



We all have one.  A Mom.  Some of us are one.  May is here - and with it brings Mothers Day.

A day to celebrate the woman who brought you life.  Who allowed her body to change as you grew inside of her - who nurtured you so you could have the best chances at life. 

My mom was a teen mom in a time when it wasn't looked on favorably to be young and pregnant.  She chose life and because of that choice, she is my hero.  If she hadn't, I wouldn't be here.  

My mother has loved me unconditionally my whole life.  We've had our moments - as all children and their mothers do, but her love for me has never faltered.  

When I was a young teen, I fell and broke both of my wrists.  My mother tended to my every need - even the less than flattering ones.  What would I have done without my mom?  She washed my hair, fed me, bathed me, clothed me.  She took care of me and protected me.  A few months later I fell again (yes, call me clutz!!) and severely broke my left ankle.  Distorted and mangled, my mother  stood in prayer for me.  It was a tough time in our life and yet she stood by me the whole way.  

In a time of persecution because of the church we attended, my mom remained strong and steadfast.  She taught me that God loved me and would never leave me.  She taught me that my faith in Him is what will get me through the tough times in life.  She demonstrated her reliance on Him at times when there wasn't enough food to feed my brother and I.  God provided.  Her faith remained strong.  She taught me that life with God can be hard but life without God is worthless.  

My mom did the best she could in a time of our lives when it was hard to imagine what the next day could possibly bring.  Life was hard, but mom made it fun.  She made us laugh.  She never let us know how hard it was on her.  I'm the mom I am today because of her.  I love my children with a love that is unmatched.  Yet, when I think about it, it is to a degree - because its the love my mother taught me.  I grew up in a single parent home...my children have grown up in a single parent home.
My mother sacrificed for my brother and I.  I have sacrificed for my children.  Where did I learn that kind of love? How did I learn to be a mom?  From the best example there is.  My mom. 

Today, I want to say thank you Mom.  Thank you for always loving me, supporting me, encouraging me, accepting me.  I'm so proud of you.  You struggled, you scraped, you spent time on your knees for Mike and I.  You loved us with a love that is stronger than any love I've known on this earth.  I don't' know if I've ever said thank you.  If I've ever told you what you've done for me.  The woman you created me to be - strong, courageous, prayerful, hopeful, loving and sacrificial.  My children couldn't ask for a better role model than you.  Thank you mom for choosing life.  For giving me a chance.  Its the best gift ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment