Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Friendship


What makes a friend?  When you think of your close friendships, what is the common denominator that holds you together?

Mutual trust?
Honesty?
Laughter?
Common interests?

I have been thinking on friendships lately.  I have many acquaintances, but only a few TRUE friends.  Those friends you can tell everything to and you know they will not judge you.  If you need to cry, they will lend their shoulder.  If you need to yell, they will be the wall to bounce the anger off of.  If you need to laugh, they will laugh along with you.

What a friend we have in Jesus.  Isn't he the truest friend we could have?  All our griefs and shame to bear.  What a privilege to carry, everything to God in prayer. 

We have decisions to make in life.  What is the one thing you want to do? Talk it over with a close friend. We have choices, trials, sorrows, grief - we want to share it with someone because the load is too heavy to carry on our own.  Who do we go to? Our close friends.  

Jesus is the closest friend I have.  I sometimes forget that He not only wants to hear my praises, but my worries and fears.  I sometimes take the weight of my concerns and load them up on my own shoulders.  I feel heavy and burdened.  I can barely walk anymore.  I'm at the point of crawling.  On my hands and knees I take the load and lay it at the feet of Jesus, my friend who is able to carry the weight for me.   What a privilege!  As I was crying this morning, thinking of some things that are heavy on my heart, the Holy Spirit whispered this song in my heart.  I haven't listened to this old hymn for a long time...years maybe.  But as my head was bowed, I heard the sweet sound "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear, what a privilege to carry, everything to God in prayer..."

Oh my heart was lifted.  I love Alan Jackson's version of this song...it just touched my heart.  I listened with eyes closed and focused on the words.  I encourage you to do the same.  Close your eyes, listen to the words, the hymn, and take it to the Lord in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment