Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Serving Him



Our youth pastor tells the youth "You are never more like Jesus than when you are serving".  I love that.  In this day and age, its all about ME.  What can Jesus do to make my life better?  What can I ASK for when I pray so I can have what I want?  

The last few years I've really felt God calling me to pray not for ME and my wants, but to pray "Lord, what can I do for YOU today?"  Use me.   Telling God you are willing to be used for His kingdom purpose is scary.  Why?  Because you have NO IDEA what he may ask you to do!!  God will never ask you to do something that He won't equip you to do.  

God says "I want you tell your best friend at school today about Me".  God, really?  It could ruin my friendship...he or she may think I'm a Jesus freak and run away and not be my friend anymore.  

God says "I want you to feed the hungry today".  You say "But God, I don't have time to go today, I have plans", or "God, I have never done that before and it will make me uncomfortable.  Ask me another day".

God says "I want you to stand up to that Bully and help that kid that no one else is helping".  Oh God, really?  No one talks to that kid, my friends will make fun of me.

How about when God says "I want you to give money away today"...oh that one really hurts doesn't it?  We work hard for our money and we give just enough to get by with saying we gave....yet we don't go above and beyond.  We don't get uncomfortable in our giving.  We don't' give enough that we must now trust God to provide for OUR needs while we meet someone else's need.

Jesus called us to be disciples.  

He didn't die on the cross so we could sit in our homes and be comfortable and rake in as many blessings as we can acquire.  He died so that we could live for Him.  We are all called to be disciples.  We are all called to be Jesus to those around us.  We are called to a life of service.  We are meant for more than what we doing.  And when we serve, we should do it humbly and quietly - not in a boasting or prideful way.  We are doing it to further Christ's kingdom, not to bring attention to ourselves.  Its not about us.  When are the Christian's of today going to get that??  Its not about us! Its about HIM!  

This week I challenged the youth to serve.  To find a need this week that they can meet.  We can't change everyone, but we can change the life of just one.  So, I submit this challenge to you as well.  Who can you serve this week?  What change can you affect in someones life?    It could be as simple as a kind word to someone who needs it.  It could be meeting a financial need - anonymously.  Yes, that's one is hard because we want the glory don't we?  Do it anonymously and see how they realize God just moved in their life.  There are needs all around us that we can meet, but we just assume someone else will do it.  Today and the rest of this week, I challenge you to meet that need.  Do it for HIM, because HE died for YOU.



No comments:

Post a Comment