Friday, January 10, 2014

Stuck


Its happened a lot lately, to a lot of people.  They got stuck.  Roads are icy and snow covered.  You try to drive forward and you get stuck.  You try to go back the way you came, and you can't move. 
We start digging, trying to free ourselves, but our wheels just keep turning to no avail.  What we need is help.  A push.  A good hearty SHOVE!  and then we can be on our way, on our path again.

Last night my son and I were on our way home from visiting a friend who just had a new baby.  What a joy!  He's healthy, mom is healthy and glowing.  She's on her path.  She has direction and now that he's here, she can move forward.  She is no longer stuck.  She's been freed from the spinning wheels of a pregnancy that seems to never end (admit it, towards the end we all feel that way!) and is now freed to mother and nurture this baby she has carried for 9 months.  

As we pulled into our subdivision, I saw another woman.  Stuck.  At a crossroads where I needed to turn to head home.  I stopped and told my son "Lets help her".  I approached her and asked if she needed help.  She was so thankful.  Others had driven right past her, ignoring her spinning wheels, offering no assistance.  I had her get in her car and we pushed and pushed, and her wheels just kept spinning, offering no traction and going no where.  Frustrating.  She lived just yards away and couldn't reach her destination.  We were able to get her moved out of that rut and she got stuck again.  I moved my car out of the way and I told her "When you get going, keep going forward.  Don't' try to stop and go backwards.  Drive all the way around the block and come in on the road you need to be on and you will make it home.  I will wait for you".  We gave it one more big push and she was off...moving forward again.  Slowly, tentatively, she made her way around the block and was able to pull into her driveway.  I waited, as I promised, and she hugged me and thanked me for helping her.  I was my pleasure.  It's what we wish anyone would do for us.

It hit me that getting stuck in the snow like she did, spinning her wheels, is indicative of what happens in our Christian walk.  We know where we want to go, but we just can't seem to move forward.  We spin our wheels, stuck in a rut.  We are afraid to move forward, can't go backward, and and sometimes we just need a good hard push.   Sometimes that push will move us forward a little bit, and then we get stuck again.  Is this the way? Am I making the right decision?  What if I get stuck again? 

Proverbs 3:5-6 says "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Trust.  The woman trusted my son and I would help her get unstuck.  My friend trusted that one day the baby would come and her life could move forward being a mother to him.  We need to trust the Lord, that He will guide us and direct us.  He will make our paths straight.  We don't' need to keep spinning our wheels, because He will gently push us forward.  But, to keep moving forward, we need to listen to the one who is pushing  Listen to the instruction that is given (BIBLE), trust it, and then act on it.  I couldn't have helped the woman get home if she didn't listen to me.  If she wanted to keep doing things her way, she would have remained stuck.  She had to trust me and listen, and when she did, she found her way home.

When you are stuck in a trial, not sure where to go or what to do, God has given you instruction.  Its in His word.  Many people don't' read it because they don't' want to do what God is telling them to do.  Sometimes its hard.  Its not easy to get unstuck.  But its necessary in order to continue on our journey. Are you stuck today?  Need a gentle push to get your wheels on solid ground again?  Go to the one who can give you the push you need.  Go to the one who can tell you what to do to move forward on your journey.  Read, listen and follow His instruction.  It may seem impossible, but with God pushing you and encouraging you, you will get UNSTUCK.

No comments:

Post a Comment