Friday, January 24, 2014

Listening

Have you ever prayed and prayed for something and you feel like God doesn't hear  you?  Weeks, months, even years go by and you begin to get frustrated.  Perhaps you even quit praying because you feel like God isn't listening anymore.

Its happened to me.  One specific prayer I've prayed for over 10 years now.  That's a long time!  I've tried to answer that prayer on my own, doing things my own way, and its failed.  So, I crawl back to my heavenly Father, ask for forgiveness for trying to exert my will against His, and ask that He not make me wait extra long because of my impatience.

There have been times when I think "This is it - He's finally heard me!", only to be let down and realize once again, I was rushing and trying to see an answer where there wasn't one.

Have you done this in your prayer life?  Talked and talked and talked to God....but never listened to Him?

I sat down this morning, thought about this listening concept, flipped open my bible as the thought of "For I know the plans I have for you..." came to mind and I look down and my bible had flopped open at THIS VERY VERSE!  Wow!! A god moment.  I didn't look it up specifically, it fell in my lap.  God whispering to me...me listening

I like this version because of how the verse ends "to give you and EXPECTED end"...Yes, there will be an end to our suffering.  There will be an end to our trials.  Whatever it is we are praying for, there will be an end.  We may not get the answer we want, but we will get the answer God intends.  His will, not mine.  His way, not mine.  

This verse comforts me.  It tells me God is thinking about ME.  He has a plan, for ME.  And there will be an end designed just for ME.  How awesome is that?  HE sees ME.  HE hears ME.  HE loves ME.  I sit here, listening to His still small voice.  He is whispering to me "I've got this, all you need to do is trust me". 

Try it sometime.  Instead of doing all the talking, Listen. Be quiet.  Wait.  A lot happens in that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment