Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Wonderfully Made



Above is a list of verses and phrases that tell me who God sees me to be.  Do I say those things to myself?  Do I believe them?  Do you? Do you ever feel like you don't measure up to the standards set by this world?  

Back in the 40's and 50's, Miss America was on average 5'6 or 5'7 and weighed between 140 and 150 pounds.  Today she is taller and 40-50 pounds lighter.  She is viewed as beautiful and women across the world sit and watch the Miss America Pageant and see themselves as failures.  We are far from it.  God says in His word we are Fearfully and wonderfully made.  We are made in His image so why do we look in the mirror and see less than who we are?

Today I want you to know that I think you are beautiful...If you are a guy reading this I think you are beautiful...God loves each and every one of us for who we are, what we are made of, the image we reflect.  We reflect Him.  So, today I vow to see myself differently when I look in the mirror.  Today I vow to remember when I start to feel lonely or sad that God loves me, that I am strong, that I am empowered by Him.  This past saturday at my morning bible study we read in James 2 about Favoritism.  When you think about favoritism, what is the first thing that comes to mind?  For me, it's beauty.  It seems to me that the women who meet the worlds standards of beautiful are favored over those who don't meet those standards.  When we say "Don't judge a book by its cover", we are doing exactly that daily.  We see a beautiful, fit, nicely dressed woman walk down the street and think "I wish I looked like that", or "I wish my legs were like hers", etc.  But what we don't' see is what's on the inside and she could be wonderful or she could have a very hardened heart.  When you see someone who doesn't meet your standard, do you walk the other way? Look the other way? Shun them because of their outward appearance?  Would you be more willing to talk to the beautiful person than the homeless person walking towards you on the street? Ever treated someone differently in church because they didn't match your standard of acceptable? 

This holiday season you will see lots of pretty wrappings - on presents, trees and people.  Try to look past what you see on the outside and look at what might be on the inside.  Because that is what lasts.  And if you have self-esteem issues, do the same for yourself.  God made you - you are fearfully and wonderfully made.  He loves you just as you are.  He loves me just as I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment