Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Daraja Childrens Choir



Yesterday my life was forever changed by the 4 ladies in the picture... Three children and their teacher came into my home to stay for a few days as the children prepare to sing at our church.  The Daraja Childrens Choir is:

 Essentially an international Hope Exchange. Just like a gift exchange or a student exchange program, we each have something to offer the other.
Out of desperate circumstances, these children possess unbelievable amounts of hope--which they offer freely through their songs, laughter, joy and incredible passion for the Lord.
In exchange, we can offer them hope for their future. Traveling with the Daraja Children's Choir gives them the chance to broaden their horizons, widen their world-perspective, deepen their leadership skills, and open the scope of their imagination. We invest in their future and the future of the nation of Kenya and Uganda.

Last evening, after showers and teeth were brushed, Grace, their teacher, sat them down and did their devotion with them.  Their attention and desire to answer questions, their obvious love of God and desire to learn more about Him, and their laughter made for a wonderful learning experience for ME.  I sat quietly, listened, observed, and was amazed at their hearts for knowledge.  As they closed, Grace asked who wanted to pray.  All 3 hands shot in the air!  Again, marvel!  I find that I have trouble getting grown adults here to pray out loud - these children were eager to do so!  After prayer they sang a closing hymn and it was the most beautiful act of worship I have ever experienced.  We were truly at the feet of Jesus. 

I think we see these kids and feel we are blessing them by showing them our homes, our stuff, how we live.  Yet, humbly, they are blessing me.  I see my excess and wonder how I could ever want more.  I see my home compared to the pictures of theirs, and wonder how I could ever have complained or been ungrateful.   In their lack of things, they are more joyous than any child I see here in America.  They appreciate what they have and are thankful each and every day for the gift of life.   There is a lesson to be learned here - and its found in the sheer joy of a child who knows she is loved by the most high God.  Its found in a song, in a smile, in a hug and in thankfulness.   This year, I want nothing more than to be a better person because of Grace, Faith, Patience and Angel.   

No comments:

Post a Comment